Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things I Miss About China, #2: The Scents of Xiaogan

Only for nostalgic reasons.

The streets always smell like ginger (used in almost every recipe it seems). All of my clothes smelled like ginger when I came home from China.

The streets also smell like scooter exhaust, dust and raw meat.

I can't quite describe the emotion I felt the first time I walked past a table of uncovered raw pig feet right on the side of a busy street. It just became normal to duck past a long line of raw linked sausages while chatting it up on the way down the street. If you look out of the windows from Matt's apartment, you can see links hanging out windows in apartments across the street. It wasn't until Christmas day that I saw a sight that would disturb most Americans, but which only added to the intrigue of the country for me: raw dog meat, hanging out to dry.

It may sound crazy, but it was kind of exciting to be among a people who seem healthy enough without obsessing about silly things like germs and sanitation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Christi said...

You could buy some ginger root at the grocery store and rub it on your clothes :)