Sunday, January 10, 2010

Things I Miss About China, #1: Frogger

How many of you played "Frogger" back in the day?

I didn't play it very often back then, but I played it quite frequently in China. Not at an arcade. Not a vintage gaming website on the internet. But every time I crossed the street.

I know this is a common plight for pedestrians in many countries outside of the U.S., and it's certainly true of China. The cars don't brake for dogs, adults, children, scooters, other cars or very large busses. Really, buildings are the only things that are safe. They drive inches away from each other and yet manage to avoid wrecking. It's truly astounding. When crossing a major intersection, you have to take it one lane at a time and just hang out in between the lanes while you wait for your opportunity to cross the next lane, maybe two if you're lucky.

It was exhilarating.

2 comments:

Marie said...

You make it sound so....


DANGEROUS!!!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not concur on it. I think precise post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.