Tuesday, December 09, 2008

twilight

No, this isn't about the deservedly popular Saga - at least not intentionally. I just found myself holding my breath for as long as I could, quick gasp of air, then wait again, etc. All the while thinking, "I don't want to move forward or backward, I just want to be here. Frozen in time." Of course after a while I started to get light-headed and was forced to process this emotion in a more practical manner: with my pen.


twilight
by joann renee

utterly lost
in the present
don’t leer
to the past
nor direct questions
to the future
i’m happy here
on the other side
of double-sided glass
peering, not at,
but through
myself
so please don’t remind
me of periphery
i’m holding
my breath
staring unseeing
past the clock
wishing it would take
it’s cue from my silent
too-necessary gasps
instead of from that greater
too-consistent force

No comments: