Wednesday, October 08, 2008

the united kingdom in my purse *

(* alternate title: born in the wrong country?)
scene study 001

If you look closely at the contents of this purse (my purse) you will note what a friend of mine noted: a barely suppressable urge to jump a plane headed for London (or anywhere else in the United Kingdom). I didn't even realize that my purse was screaming my dreams with me until one of my friends was admiring my green polka dotted purse and exclaimed something about how many books I was carrying with me, and how many of them related to England. It's true.

If you look closely, you'll see that my clutch (that's girl-speak for wallet, for you gentlemen reading) is of Trafalgar Square, complete with double-decker buses. Then there's a book by Bill Bryson about his time living in the U.K. (which, coincidentally, I purchased from a young British man working at Powell's Books...I was slightly embarrassed...I felt that an obsessed fan...not unlike the time I asked David Cook to sign my headband...but that's another story for another time). Then we find one of J.K. Rowling's famous Potter books, which I'm re-reading currently (and the J in her name stands for Joanne (she misspells it), by the way, and she's a Britian). Then the Narnia, the musical, script that I've been looking over in preparation for directing it this Winter for CYT in Gresham (C.S. Lewis, a native of England, wrote the Chronicles of Narnia that this musical is based off of). The journal, Rain and the Valley, doesn't really have to do with the U.K., but it is rainy there.

Here I am dreaming of far off lands filled with people of accents, bad teeth, tea time, argile, prep schools and so much more...
scene study 009

As a side note, my last name has British origins. Whittaker means "white house on a hill." And, apparently, Joann is a highly popular name over there as well. So if you look on Facebook for "Joann Whittaker," you'll come up with about 40 of me mucking about in the U.K....and then the me that's over here in America. My lovely teacher and friend, Bo, always did say that I was born in the wrong country...I can't necessarily say that I disagree...

6 comments:

joshandkarlee said...

So...that's a great picture of you! You are hot (and only getting hotter might I add)!

Cassie said...

you are so cute!!
my favorite thing in your purse is the clutch. SO amazing!!!

also... any way to explain how to change my "layout" so i can use big pics?????

Danny said...

I'm glad you were born in the "wrong" country. I wouldn't like being a Brit!

Bo said...

Oh, how I LOVE London and find that I live in a perennial state of planning my next trip there. For my birthday I re-bought the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide for London (the first one was purchased for my trip and then I gave it away to another traveler as our paths crossed at Heathrow). Seriously, it's $25, but if you combine it with a cup of English Breakfast tea, Walker's shortbread and a free afternoon, you can travel the world for less than 30 bucks. Lovely.

Marie said...

I'm glad you were born in the country I was in at the time! Who would you be if you were born in England?--- :^)

outoftheshadowlands said...

Me and you both me dear. Though I think it took being born in the US and then living in Georgia for me to realise how wonderful England is. Honestly, I walked off the plane and felt like I had come home. You'll get there one day. I'll go back one day. Right now, we're both where we are supposed to be. It's good to have a handbag full of "home" though.