Wednesday, October 01, 2008

regarding september 30th

Thanks to everyone who texted, called, emailed, facebooked, mailed, Beach-ed, gifted, well-wished, etc. me yesterday. And even to those who remembered and thought of me, though didn't contact me. And EVEN to those who didn't remember until just now and are currently kicking yourself for doing none of the aforementioned, stop fretting: kicking yourself is the best birthday present I could ever ask for.

In the immortal words of me (I promise I'm not as arrogant as I sound - I'm more silly & sarcastic):
"A birthday's not a birthday until it's been poeticized."

Ergo...

Regarding September 30th
by Joann Renee

Instinctively hitting snooze
There’s a tugging
An inner alarm to remember
Something
Squinting through the dark
The elusive is found

Closing my eyes again
I will a magic moment
That feels like 26

To no avail
Drastic metamorphosis didn’t overtake
My sleeping body this year—
Same toes I wiggle
Same slightly uneven ears
Same unsightly vision
Same hopes and fears

Except for the gumption
To believe
Anything
Could happen today
26 feels very much the same
As almost-26

3 comments:

Cassie said...

i love your birthday poem!

you are amazing, and i'm blessed to know you!

farmgirl beth said...

which feels very much the same as almost-34.

Did I just confess that publicly? eek.

Lorelei said...

I'm enlisting you for poet-i-zation of my birthday in May! Wonderful friend. My gift to you? Crepes, crepes, and more crepes at the end of Oct.