Sunday, August 10, 2008

"so this is love...

...mmm, Mmm, mmm, Mmm...so this is what the world calls love..."


I found my first niche (beside of course Burnside & 23rd in Portland, which have been waiting for me and needed no searching to locate): Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver. It's a lush city block filled with grass and trees, a water feature for children to play in, a bell tower, an ampitheatre, a gazebo, etc. It's idyllic.

It's also surrounded by an Italian cafe with terrible coffee but great paninis, pastries and gelato. There are fun shops and a Starbucks and an apartment complex (how fun it would be to live there) and parking meters (yes, they still use coin operated parking meters). It's within walking distance of a fun, retro "cheap" theater and all of the other places I mentioned in the previous post with Erin & Hiro. And, as an added bonus, it's a mere two blocks from the I-5 entrance that brings you onto the freeway a few hundred feet from the bridge into Oregon.

As I walked through the park, the song from Sleeping Beauty filled my heart and my mouth. This is even before I rounded the corner and to my absolute bliss found a round-about! Icing on the cake. The funny thing about this round-about (for all you Bend residents) is that there are arrows painted in the round-about to show you which direction to drive.

2 comments:

Katie Scott said...

That looks so fun! I'll be in Portland the end of this month and we should hang out. :) Also, I think you're thinking of Cinderella...

joann renee said...

You are correct! Cinderella it is...I was so giddy, I couldn't keep my Disney princesses clear.