Friday, June 27, 2008

it's a dangerous thing, stepping outside your front door

For those who haven't heard through the grapevine or directly from this grape, I am moving back to Portland the beginning of August (that's only 34 days away!).

There are multiple reasons for this move (including, but not limited to):
  • I miss the rain
  • My nephews & niece beckon
  • As do my lovely sisters
  • Did I mention my parents are moving to the Portland area as well?
  • Oh! And I'll be closer to both brothers, too. Though I still probably won't see Danny that often even with the airport right at hand.
  • Powells Books & Buffalo Exchange & waterfront
  • Big bridges
  • Live music
  • The irresistible possibility of directing Narnia for CYT in January
  • Old high school & college chums
  • And I'm going back to school

I found out Wednesday that I am officially accepted to George Fox University's MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching program). Classes start late August. It's the night program, so I can work full time (classes are only one night a week plus every third or so Saturday). I'll be going for Secondary Education (that means high school & middle school) for Language Arts (that's English) and Drama. It's a 20 month program with student teaching beginning November of 2009. I'll be taking classes at the Portland campus, not Newberg.

I don't have a job yet. Still looking. Not sure where I'll live yet (hopefully I won't have to crash at my sister's for too long). My last day of work at Westside Church is July 31st, which is also when I move out of the Ranch Village house.

There are still many unknowns, but I'm thrilled. It finally feels real now that I've taken a load of stuff to storage in Vancouver and have been accepted to grad school.

So, Bend buddies, if I seem distant or out of it, it's because I am (sorry!). I've got a lot going on in my head and transitioning is always an emotional, whimsical and stressful time for me. Know that I love you all and forgive me in advance for being completely unpredictable in moods. Send me an email or a text and I'd love to hang out before July's out.

And, Portland pals, begin clearing your calendars for being my friend beginning in August.

Further up and further in...

4 comments:

outoftheshadowlands said...

You will be sorely missed. Thankfully, you are an amazing blogger so I can keep up with you via the www. Love you!

Splendidly Imperfect said...

joann, im sad your leaving. you'll be missed!

joshandkarlee said...

I would say I am sad, but I don't live in Bend, and Portland is closer to where I am at! I know that God has incredible things in store for you in P-town!

Cassie said...

did i ever mention i will miss you?

cause... i WILL miss you!