Thursday, June 12, 2008

the doug fir

This past weekend was a relay race...
...and I was the baton.

It began Thursday with three hours of work, then three hours of driving, then three hours with the Twists (minus Matt) in Sandy, then three hours in Portland looking at boats & sailors and attending a Brooke Fraser concert before spending a couple of hours chatting with my older sister, Kimmie.

The rest of the weekend continued in like manner.

The Brooke Fraser concert was at this great venue in Portland: the Doug Fir Lounge. Such a unique environment! The whole building is made of Doug Fir trees...big logs everywhere. I simply loved it.



Brooke is from New Zealand (you should look up her music--simply brilliant). Her set was very acoustic with just two other band members (above--click on the pictures for a closer look), a girl from Ireland who played keys & violin and sang backup and a guy from Detroit who played drums & keys. It felt like a small, intimate concert though there were over 150 people in the small room.


This is my favorite picture from the night...

2 comments:

outoftheshadowlands said...

I love the Doug Fir! My sister and I met up in Portland for a weekend together (pre-kids of course) and stayed at the Jupiter Hotel which is also mucho cool - very retro. BTW I also love, love, love your new photo at the top of your blog.

Marie said...

I love your new photo, too! You are special! I love you.