Friday, September 14, 2007

five year anniversary

Yesterday evening while writing a check, I wrote down the date and was reminded that it was the anniversary of a special event in my life: my first hand-holding with a boy moment. I was so inspired that I began an impromptu poem on the back of my check duplicate. Finished it this afternoon while hanging out with the glorious Sarah at Barnes N' Noble (post to follow later this weekend).

Five Year Anniversary
by Joann Renee

It was cold.
The only reason
I accepted
the smelly blanket.

The Shining
TV screen illuminated
by street lamps
ignored the chill.

"Are you okay?"
tickled my right
ear as your breath
adjusted my loose hair.

Creeping, like the boy
on his scooter,
your fingers found mine.
Warmth replaced

giggles, and slowly
intertwined appendages
changed forever
Freaky Friday.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Amazing. simply amazing. my favorite line, and strangly i heard it just last week, was the "intertwined appendages"... also equally amazing is that you actually remember the date....most people think i am crazy because i remember dates such as these! Thank you for making me feel a little less like a nerd!