Wednesday, August 08, 2007

twin rocks (they're fraternal)

Well, once again, for the seventh summer in a row, I headed off to be a cabin leader for a high school church camp. This was my tenth camp as a leader and my second camp at Twin Rocks with Oneighty. It was glorious. I love the Oregon coast. It's my favorite. And I love getting away with God for a week, even if it's with a bunch of rambunctous and lovable teenagers.

The leaders went out a day early and I spent a few hours on a shockingly warm & practically windless beach. Sunday morning Stephenie, Maleea & I embarked on a journey to find coffee before the campers arrived. We found a coffee shop in Girabaldi that serves Sisters Coffee Co. coffee. The roof was really short.

Then we went and did devotions on the beach. Me & my feet did a photo shoot...

Prepping for the numbing waters of the Pacific...

And the beautiful, freezing foam...

Myspace photo...

I named them Fred & George. George even has a big whole on one side (you can't see it in this picture though, sorry)...

Rising sun...

It wouldn't be camp without wet, soapy games. Jori Umphress sporting her raincoat...

Paige after thoroughly enjoying the impromptu slip n' slide...

After service Monday night we had a bonfire on the beach. The guys built it so big that it was still going at noon the next day...

CHEESE FACTORY! Two of my three Michelle's happily watching the cheese workings of Tillamook Cheese Factory...

It says "Viking". I felt compelled to take a picture. I am part Viking afterall...

Katie & I got chocolate milk after sampling squeeky cheese...

Michelle as Batboy and me as Princess Leia in her lounge-wear for superhero night on Tuesday...

"Illuminate" was the theme for camp. Here's a shot from worship at one of the evening sessions...

My cabin. Truly the funniest cabin at camp...we laughed until we cried at almost every meal. I'm sure all the other campers & leaders were jealous that they weren't in that group...
And a self-portrait. Sadly, it cut Kayla out. Also sad is that I am actually ridiculously tan for my bad Scandinavian self, yet I'm the whitest one in the shot...even Paige is tanner than me. And there are no words for Jillian...
The official pitstop for all counselors on the way back from camp: Starbucks. Please note Jonathan's hair--this is what happens when someone hides his straightener...

2 comments:

Marie said...

I'm glad you posted these pictures. I enjoyed seeing part of your life as a camp counsellor! You're awesome! (and I love you, too!!)

Danny said...

yummy, Tillamook cheese! Please bring a Costco 5 pound brick when you come visit us!