Tuesday, July 03, 2007

playa del carmen (days 4 & 5)

"Joann, you may not mesh with the culture, but you are still here for a reason." Eric began to encourage me with this phrase on day 4 (Sunday) when I stayed at the casa all day due to getting sick the night before. It's true. I certainly do not mesh with the culture and I was there for a reason and am very glad I went--although I spent all of Sunday & half of Monday wondering why anyone would ever want to vacation in Cancun.

On Monday we went to this (apparently) amazing steak restaurant in Playa (although I ate about two bites & was absolutely full due to the aftermath of being sick) and were serenaded by some very cool street musicians who played these pipe things while playing guitar...



It looks like the light is playing the guitar in this one with the beautiful Molly in the foreground...


The outreach that night was one of my favorites...tied for first with our last outreach. It was on a community basketball court in a poor area of Playa. A few of the little boys peddled their tricycle right by the drumset and around the stage most of time during the testimonies. The little girl in the overall shorts (pictured below), Danielle, stood close to me and watched me play guitar most of the ministry time at the end and kept trying to talk to me in Spanish even though I clearly couldn't understand her...She was really sweet...


Micah with his bass...you can see the swingset behind him, as well as a man sitting on the roof in the distance...that's how this outreach was, some people in the seats and a lot of people sitting aways off around the outskirts of the court...


This picture doesn't quite capture it, but the sky was gorgeous that night. The sun would be about a third of the way down the sky around 6pm and then by 8pm or so it was completely dark.


Gracie sharing her testimony through Chris, our interpreter that night who was a back-slidden Christian, but by the end of the night he had had a radical encounter with God and was a completely different young man. You can see the moon at the top of this picture as well...


This little girl also hung out around me while I played guitar during the ministry time, but she kept hitting the drums, plucking the keyboard, attempting to strum my guitar, talking in the drum mic (the only one in her height range)...she paid little heed to the word, "No" even though she clearly understood what we were saying...


After the outreach and food at the pastor's house, we all went for a stroll at La Quinta (sp?), the famous shopping stretch in Playa...also quite the night life spot. It was gorgeous. The bars had swings around the bar instead of bar stools, which I thought was not the smartest idea, but cool nonetheless...


We also hung out on the beach by La Quinta that night. It was only my second, and last, time at the famous beaches there...I liked it best at night when my sweat had settled to a dull trinkle and the moonlight played cool tricks on the sea and I could fully enjoy the waves crashing on my swollen, happy toes...

No comments: